Saturday, May 14, 2011

It's a Shawl Kinda Day

Well, I guess it is more turning into a shawl sort of week.


I finished this puppy a few weeks back (I took the lace pattern from a shirt that I had done once before, and just altered it enough to make it flow nicely). It was boring, and black, and acrylic, but I am fairly pleased with the end product.

I would have preferred a nicer yarn to work with, but I didn’t really have a choice. The girl this was for is allergic to many materials, and specifically asked that I make it in acrylic. And she doesn’t do colour. At all. So it was black, blue or white. All of which are colours I like and wear a lot…but they are not the most exciting colours in the universe.

Sadly, with this acrylic, the pattern doesn't show overly well:



Anywho, I am thinking this has started my current love of lace. It is fun to do, and I love watching the patterns appear out of a hole. Beauty from chaos. One of my favourite things ever!

I have since started on this (which is to one day be a shawl for one of my bosses). She inadvertently picked it out herself. She is a bit of a fashionista, and so when I was looking at various patterns to do for her, I figured, hey, what the heck...sent her several and asked her opinion. She knows that I have family coming out to visit me in July, so believes it is a birthday gift for one of them. :)

I am sure that she has some inkling this might be for her, but really, who is going to be crass enough to ask someone if they are making something for them? She is a classy and refined kinda gal, so I can't imagine that she would ever think to ask me outright.

The yarn for it is from Yarntopia Treasures (Bacon, I love eBay). It is a 100% bamboo yarn, so has a wonderfully soft and silky feel. It's just in its baby stages (I did it originally on size 3.25, as called for, and found it to be a little too small for my liking. There wasn't the drape and hand that I knew this pattern and yarn could do.

So anywho, here she is so far:



The yarn is called "he loves me not"...which is a really nice blend of red, pink, blue and purple, and all the multitude of shades in between.

I thought that I would try to bring some colour to her wardrobe. Like many professional women, she has fallen into the "black and gray and all the shades in between" style.

Anyway, that is all that is going on for the moment. Will update when my life becomes more exciting, or I start making progress on the Tongue of Fire and want to show it off. hehe

ttfn
k

No comments: